Go to main content

Qualification in Counselling Psychology

The Qualification in Counselling Psychology (QCoP) is the independent route to training as a counselling psychologist, which is an alternative route to those undertaking a professional doctorate at university.

This is an integrated, doctoral level qualification which leads to eligibility for Chartered membership of the Society and full membership of the Division of Counselling Psychology.

Please note, this is a vocational course where you will be working in practice to meet the competencies required for the Qualification. You will also be required to complete the QCoP specific assessments, alongside your proposed core therapy and secondary model training if not previously completed and subsequently approved of in an application for accreditation of existing competence (AEC).

Both courses would need to be delivered by a University or relevant course provider at postgraduate level i.e. minimum level 7 (England, Wales and Northern Ireland) or level 11 (Scotland), with both your core therapy needing to meet a minimum of 350 hours and your secondary model course being at least 150 hours of teaching.

If you have any questions you can contact us by phone at 0116 252 9505 or email us at [email protected]


  • 3 years minimum (or part-time equivalent)

Enrolment (entry) requirements

  • Graduate Membership of the society with the Graduate Basis for Chartered membership
  • An approved coordinating supervisor
  • Access to a suitable placement (paid or voluntary)
  • Consideration of your core and secondary model training (if not previously completed and approved of in an application for AEC)

Start date

  • Flexible: you can enrol throughout the year.

With the support of your supervisor, you will design your plan of training to accommodate your interests and circumstances (for instance, the therapeutic approaches that you study and the placements where you undertake your supervised practice), so long as this fits into the broad framework for the qualification. 

You will also be able to register with the Health and Care Professions Council.

    Top of page