Associated Policies and guidance documents:
Licence to use website and documents or other material downloaded from the website
Unless otherwise stated, we or our licensors own the intellectual property rights in the website and material on and available for download from the website. Subject to the licence below, all these intellectual property rights are reserved.
Without prior permission in writing, for which a fee may be charged, you must not:
- Republish material from this website (including republication on another website);
- Sell, rent or sub-licence material from the website;
- Show any material from the website in public;
- Reproduce, duplicate, copy or otherwise exploit material on our website for a commercial purpose;
- Edit or otherwise modify any material on the website; or
- Redistribute material from this website except where specifically and expressly permitted.
Email your permissions requests to us.
You must not use our website in any way that causes, or may cause, damage to the website or impairment of the availability or accessibility of the website; or in any way which is unlawful, illegal, fraudulent or harmful, or in connection with any unlawful, illegal, fraudulent or harmful purpose or activity.
You must not use our website to copy, store, host, transmit, send, use, publish or distribute any material which consists of (or is linked to) any spyware, computer virus, Trojan horse, worm, keystroke logger, rootkit or other malicious computer software.
You must not conduct any systematic or automated data collection activities (including without limitation scraping, data mining, data extraction and data harvesting) on or in relation to our website without our express written consent.
You must not use our website to transmit or send unsolicited commercial communications.
You must not use our website for any purposes related to marketing without our express written consent.
Access to certain areas of our website is restricted. We reserve the right to restrict access to other areas of our website, or indeed our whole website, at our discretion.
If we provide you with a user ID and password to enable you to access restricted areas of our website or other content or services, you must ensure that that user ID and password are kept confidential.
You must notify us in writing/email immediately if you become aware of any unauthorised use of your account or password.
You are responsible for any activity on our website arising out of any failure to keep your password confidential, and may be held liable for any losses arising out of such a failure.
You must not use any other person's user ID and password to access our website.
We may disable your user ID and password in our sole discretion without notice or explanation.
User generated content
You grant to us a worldwide, irrevocable, non-exclusive, royalty-free license to use, reproduce, adapt, publish, translate and distribute your user content in any existing or future media. You also grant to us the right to sub-license these rights, and the right to bring an action for infringement of these rights.
Your user content must not be illegal or unlawful, must not infringe any third party's legal rights, and must not be capable of giving rise to legal action whether against you or us or a third party (in each case under any applicable law).
Your user content (and its publication on our website) must not:
- Be libelous or maliciously false
- Be obscene or indecent
- Infringe any copyright, moral right, database right, trade mark right, design right, right in passing off, or other intellectual property right
- Infringe any right of confidence, right of privacy, or right under data protection legislation
- Constitute negligent advice or contain any negligent statement
- Constitute an incitement to commit a crime
- Be in contempt of any court, or in breach of any court order
- Be in breach of racial or religious hatred or discrimination legislation
- Be blasphemous
- Be in breach of official secrets legislation
- Be in breach of any contractual obligation owed to any person
- Depict violence in any form
- Be pornographic or sexually explicit
- Be untrue, false, inaccurate or misleading
- Consist of or contain any instructions, advice or other information which may be acted upon and could, if acted upon, cause illness, injury or death, or any other loss or damage
- Constitute spam
- Be offensive, deceptive, threatening, abusive, harassing, or menacing, hateful, discriminatory or inflammatory
- Cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety to any person
- Use the facilities of our website to post any content that may bring the society, its members or any third parties into disrepute
Your user content must be appropriate, civil, tasteful and accord with generally accepted standards of etiquette and behaviour on the internet.
You must not submit any user content to the website that is or has ever been the subject of any threatened or actual legal proceedings or other similar complaint.
We reserve the right and may, without any notification, monitor, moderate, edit or remove any or all material submitted to our website, or stored on our servers, or hosted or published upon our website.
You acknowledge that some of the information published on this website is submitted by users and members of The British Psychological Society ('society'), and that we may not review, approve or edit such information. We do not warrant the completeness or accuracy of the information published on this website; nor do we commit to ensuring that the website remains available or that the material on the website is kept up-to-date.
To the maximum extent permitted by applicable law we exclude all representations, warranties and conditions relating to this website and the use of this website (including, without limitation, any warranties implied by law of satisfactory quality, fitness for purpose and/or the use of reasonable care and skill).
Any opinions, views, reviews and/or knowledge submitted and published on this website by any individual user are their own and do not necessarily represent the views, opinions, knowledge and/or position of the society.
Limitations and exclusions of liability
To the extent that the website and the information and services on the website are provided free-of-charge, we will not be liable for any loss or damage of any nature.
We will not be liable to you in respect of any losses arising out of any event or events beyond our reasonable control.
We will not be liable to you in respect of any business losses, including (without limitation) loss of or damage to profits, income, revenue, use, production, anticipated savings, business, contracts, commercial opportunities or goodwill. The limitations and exclusions of liability in this paragraph will apply whether or not the liability in question arises out of any reckless, deliberate, personal and/or repudiatory conduct or breach of contract.
We will not be liable to you in respect of any loss or corruption of any data, database or software.
We will not be liable to you in respect of any special, indirect or consequential loss or damage.
You agree to the publication of comments, reviews and/or feedback relating to you, by others, on our website. You acknowledge that such comments, reviews and/or feedback may be critical or defamatory or otherwise unlawful; and you agree that you will not hold us liable in respect of any such comments, reviews and/or feedback, irrespective of whether we are aware or ought to have been aware of such comments, reviews and/or feedback.
- Send you one or more formal warnings
- Temporarily suspend your access to the website
- Permanently prohibit you from accessing the website
- Block computers using your IP address from accessing the website
- Contact your internet services provider and request that they block your access to the website
- Bring court proceedings against you for breach of contract or otherwise
- Suspend and/or delete your account with the website
- Delete and/or edit any or all of your user generated content
Where we suspend or prohibit or block your access to our website or a part of our website, you must not take any action to circumvent such suspension or prohibition or blocking (including without limitation creating and/or using a different account).
Third party websites and hyperlinks
Our website includes hyperlinks to other websites owned and operated by third parties. These links are not recommendations. We have no control over the contents of third party websites, and we accept no responsibility for them or for any loss or damage that may arise from your use of them.
Our logo belongs to us. We give no permission for the use of our logo without express written permission in advance or through authorised society member use, and such use may constitute an infringement of our rights.
The other registered and unregistered trademarks or service marks on our website are the property of their respective owners. Unless stated otherwise, we do not endorse and are not affiliated with any of the holders of any such rights and as such we cannot grant any license to exercise such rights.
From time to time we may run competitions, free prize draws and/or other promotions on our website. These will be subject to additional terms and conditions (that we will make available to you as appropriate).
Exclusion of third party rights
Law and jurisdiction
The full name of our company is The British Psychological Society.
We are registered charity in England & Wales under registration number 229642 and in Scotland under registration number SC039452.
Our address is St. Andrews House, 48 Princess Road East, Leicester, LE1 7DR.
Our VAT number is 240 3937 76
You can contact us by email.