North West of England
The North West is an exciting part of the UK, with lots going on and lots to offer psychologists living and working within the region. If you are a member of the BPS and are based within the north west region, you are automatically a member of our Branch.
We are a long-established Branch, involving a committee - elected yearly - and its membership, which consists of all BPS members in the north west of England.
The purpose of the Branch is to bring together psychologists and students of different fields from around this geographical region.
To fulfil our mission, our activities include:
- Discussing and contributing to BPS matters and other psychology-relevant topics
- Organising and running events of broad interest in our membership, including conferences and workshops
- Organising careers events for students and other outreach activities
- Organising informal events that provide social networking opportunities cutting across the fields of psychology
- Organising public engagement events
- Supporting other events relevant to our membership that are held in our region
If you are a BPS Branch member with ideas of what kind of events you would like, or if you are a related interest group in the region who’d like to make links with us, then we would very much like to hear from you!
Not only does the Branch exist for you, but it is also effectively run by you. That is, events only happen because there are good people putting themselves forward, along with their effort and expertise, to organise relevant events, run them, and/or speak at them.
If you have any ideas for events and other activities, or you would be open to be invited as a guest speaker or otherwise contribute your expertise, then we would love to hear from you.
The Branch is run by the Committee and all BPS members whose addresses cover the NW area are automatically members of the Branch.
The Committee presently includes a range of practitioner and academic psychologists and students from diverse fields and with a range of specialisms and from different parts of the NW all bound together by our common location and our wish to fulfil our mission statement aims. We are able to do this as Committee members volunteer to give up their time and by holding six ordinary meetings throughout the year and by organising and assisting at various events. We also produce a newsletter, which is called The Update and maintain close links with the BPS (keeping updated with Society business) and the other Branches (via the Branches Forum).
We are a very active region and most of our activities involve organising events in the local vicinity. The range of backgrounds of our Committee members is not only enriching for the Committee members themselves but also means that we can put on a diverse range of events to suit a variety of interests and levels. Recent events include an occupational psychology day, forensic psychology conference, a neurolinguistic programming conference. and our series Psychology for Non-Psychologists. Some of these events are organised in collaboration with other organisations. We also arrange our very popular careers events aimed at sixth formers and undergraduates.
In keeping with our stated aims, we place much emphasis on promoting psychology and the BPS to students and this is reflected at all levels. Committee members have made regular careers visits to local schools, and we also maintain close links with PsyPAG (Psychology Postgraduate Affairs Group) by having a representative on the Committee.
Another focus has been on our strong attempt to reach out to all of the region and to encourage more members on to the Committee from all corners of the North West.
Each year, usually in October, we hold an Annual General Meeting (AGM) (where members are invited to put themselves forward for nomination on to the Committee) which also includes a stimulating guest lecture and lovely buffet supper. All members are welcome.
This will include the following items:
- Actively creating and using opportunities to interact with both psychologists and non-psychologists, and the media, and to develop and increase their understanding of psychology and its relevance.
- To encourage those considering a career in psychology to take advantage of the benefits of qualifications and a career in psychology.
- Seek to increase membership of the BPS.
- Organise events and other activities on topics of importance for the career and professional development of psychologists, focusing on topics of common interest to different divisions/sections, and help to facilitate communication across divisions/sections boundaries on matters of common concern.
- It may sometimes be in keeping with our mission to organise events of a specialist scientific nature. The aim of these events will be to facilitate communication between North of England Branch members, and aid scientific and professional development.
- Facilitate and encourage communication between Branch members.
- Regularly and systematically assess and respond to the wishes of Branch members.
Our NWPsychTalk podcast is designed to inform and make current issues in psychology accessible to both practitioners and the general public alike.
- Mia Pal
- Jimmy Petruzzi
Chair Elect: Vacant
Past Chair: Jon Coldwell
Honorary Treasurer: Vacant
Honorary Secretary: Andrea Stein
- Clare Mulligan-Foster
- Esmira Ropaj
- Karen Royle
- Lorna Mills
Communications: Jimmy Petruzzi
Student Lead: Esmira Ropaj
PsyPAG Representative: Emma Smillie
When you join the BPS you are automatically made a member of your local branch.
The North West of England Branch covers the following areas/postcodes:
- Blackburn (BB)
- Bolton (BL)
- Carlisle (CA)
- Chester (CH1-CH4)
- Crewe (CW)
- Blackpool (FY)
- Isle of Man (IM)
- Liverpool (L1-L99)
- Lancaster (LA)
- Manchester (M1-M99)
- Oldham (OL)
- Preston (PR)
- Stockport (SK)
- Warrington (WA)
- Wigan (WN)
Benefits of belonging
By becoming a member of the Branch you are automatically added to the announcement list.
To receive these emails you will need to:
- become a member of the North West of England Branch
- opt into receiving email communication and provide a working email address
These preferences can be updated by logging into your member portal.
If you have any queries, please contact Member Network Services
To assist us in responding to your query please make sure to include your membership number and quote 'BPS North West of England Branch announcement email' in the subject line.
Our volunteers come from a wide range of different backgrounds, whether they be practitioners or academics, or full members or in-training members, and together form an open and inclusive community.