Qualification in Educational Psychology - Scotland (Stage 2)
Discover what this qualification could offer you in your career.
The Qualification in Educational Psychology (Scotland) is an independent route to completion of stage 2 training for those who are employed as educational psychologists (probationers).
- 1 year minimum (or part-time equivalent)
Enrolment (entry) requirements
- Graduate Membership of the Society with the Graduate Basis for Chartered membership
- BPS accredited MSc in Educational Psychology from a Scottish university
- These fees will be paid directly by the Scottish government
This doctoral level qualification will enable you to train flexibly within a structured and supportive framework.
After completing this qualification you'll be able to apply for Chartered Membership of the BPS, full membership of the Scottish Division of Educational Psychology, and will also be eligible to apply for registration with the Health and Care Professions Council.
If you have any questions, contact us via [email protected] or by phone 0116 252 9505.
The qualification requires you to undertake a minimum of one year of structured supervised practice (or the part-time equivalent) at doctoral level.
Your supervised practice will build upon the academic components of your MSc and provide you with opportunities to develop the skills required to become an educational psychologist as well as to demonstrate competence across the five core Currie functions:
- research across differing levels of intervention
You will undertake your supervised practice (Plan of Training) with the support of your Co-ordinating Supervisor, Workplace Supervisor (if appropriate), the Educational Psychology (Scotland) Qualifications Board and a designated Qualifications Administrator.
For more information, including details on how to find a Co-ordinating Supervisor, view the following handbooks and regulations:
- Guidelines for candidates with dyslexia (Under Review)
- Guidelines for supervisors & placement providers of candidates with dyslexia (Under Review)
Code of Conduct
The BPS sets standards that it expects candidates to follow.
In order to guide candidates in understanding their responsibilities as a trainee, the society has adopted this Code of Conduct for Members enrolled on a Society Qualification.
First consult the Candidate Handbook to make sure that you fulfil the entry requirements.
Next, find a Co-ordinating Supervisor using the Register of Applied Psychology Practice Supervisors. It is advisable to contact more than one Supervisor before agreeing terms.
Your Supervisor will be able to explore with you how you might design your plan of training, taking into account any previous qualifications and your current circumstances.
Once you have secured supervisory support, the next step is to complete and submit your enrolment application (our Candidate Handbook will help guide you through the process of enrolment and provide tips on how to complete the forms).
- Enrolment form (Part 1)
- Enrolment Form (Part 2)
- Induction Checklist
- Plan of Training
- Sample Supervision Contract
- Reference Request form
- Health Declaration
- Direct Debit Mandate
As part of your electronic enrolment you must ensure that:
- All documents are signed with an electronic signature (scanned and inserted) and not typed
- Certificates are authenticated copies. This means a photocopy/scanned version that has been signed by your co-ordinating supervisor with a written statement to confirm they have seen the true copy
- The enhanced DBS is full scan of pages 1 and 2
- All documents are enclosed in a zipped folder labelled with your name, membership number and qualification you are enrolling on
Your documents must be submitted to the office electronically via Hightail.
For more information contact the qualification team
The formal assessment of the QEP(S) is usually conducted at the end of the probationary year by means of a portfolio of competence.
There is no set assessment schedule for this qualification although you will be expected to register for assessment in advance.