International Conference Symposium Scheme
This grant unlocks funding for BPS Member Networks to host a symposium at an international conference.
A symposium is defined as a collection of papers on a particular subject with a number of contributors (normally more than 2), and a discussant/co-ordinator. Individual papers or workshops are not accepted.
For the purposes of the bursary scheme, an international conference could take place outside of the UK or may even occur within the UK, either physically or online.
The Research Board is keen to support the participation of early career researchers within the scheme and welcomes their participation within the symposium.
Grants range from £1,500 - £3,500 and the initiative helps the BPS to showcase UK psychology to international audiences.
Each grant provides funding to contribute towards the costs of registration (for both physical and online events) and travel and accommodation (for physical events only) for the symposium convenor/moderator and participating symposium panellists.
This is a biannual scheme, with deadlines usually in April and October each year.
Please note: you can only submit one bursary application per round.
2024 May Applications
- Scheme open date: 04 March 2024
- Scheme close date: 12 May 2024
2024 November Applications
- Scheme open date: 16 September 2024
- Scheme close date: 03 November 2024
Please note that application criteria and eligibility could be subject to change.
Any changes will be applied when the scheme is open to application.
Applicants must meet the following eligibility criteria:
- The Member Network needs to have a symposium accepted or submitted as part of the programme for the conference
- The Member Network must provide supporting statement from the Chair of the Member Network
- Each participant in the symposium needs to be at least a Graduate Member of the Society, and a member of the relevant Member Network
Other relevant information
Read the following information before submitting your application.
- Applicants should explain the relevance of the conference to their Member Networks area of research, practice, or interest within the application
- Grants are only available to Member Networks i.e. Branches, Divisions, Faculties of a Division, Sections and Special Groups
- Applicants can submit joint applications. However, please include details of why you are proposing a joint symposium and include a supporting statement from the relevant Member Network Chairs
- Division Faculties who submit an application must ask the Chair of the overarching Division, e.g. the Division of Clinical Psychology, to sign off the application
- If a Chair of a Member Network is making an application, please have the form counter signed by another officer i.e. Treasurer or Secretary, of that Member Network
- Please provide a copy of the official conference announcement, along with details of registration fee amounts, with the application. Registration fees must be based on the early bird amount
- Please include an abstract of the proposed symposium with the application, as the panel will not be able to consider it without this
- The society is unable to reimburse any costs incurred prior to the panel’s decision on the applications received, where the application has not been successful
- Please provide official confirmation of the acceptance of the symposium and evidence of conference registration at the time of application if the symposium is already accepted. Payment of the grant will be conditional on the receipt of such confirmation
- All participants should provide an up to date, 2-page summary CV, to be included with the application
How to apply
Please follow the link below to access and complete the application form.
All applications are anonymously assessed to discourage unconscious bias.
Please provide a redacted copy of your CV and abstract, ensuring that all personal information is excluded, such as date of birth and contact details, and any other identifiable details.
Contact the Awards and Grants team at [email protected] with any questions and queries.
Please note: we cannot accept late applications.