Find all the information you need to know about National Assessors.
The role of a National Assessor is to advise employers on whether applicants meet the standards for appointment for the role of Applied Consultant Psychologists, Band 8C and above.
In particular, they assess whether candidates have the necessary skills and competencies to fulfil the job description associated with the post.
They also advise on the relative strengths and weaknesses of candidates in relation to the required competencies. However, the final decision ultimately remains with the employer.
In addition, National Assessors may give advice on the development of the job description, person specification and recruitment advert.
- National Assessors post-interview evaluation report (current assessors only)
- Download our National Assessor Guidelines
- Browse the list of current Lead National Assessors
Becoming a National Assessor
To become a National Assessor you must be a Practicing Psychologist currently at Band 8c or above with substantial experience of recruitment and selection at a senior level.
Before you apply, make sure that you meet the following criteria:
- BPS member of appropriate Division
- HCPC registered
- Substantial experience as a Consultant Band 8c and/or above (it is expected that this appointment will have been undertaken using National Assessors on the appointment panel)
- Relevant up-to-date specialist knowledge and experience as a consultant Psychologist
- Fully trained and experienced in assessment and interviewing skills, including competency-based assessment
- Be able to provide evidence of personal development (e.g. myCPD log)
- Have knowledge of clinical governance and other relevant NHS policies and strategies
- Be fully trained in recruitment and selection practices for senior posts and aware of current legislation in this area
- Be fully trained in equal opportunities and diversity related to recruitment and selection
- Be available to travel
- It is recommended that National Assessors have their own insurance
- National Assessors may continue following retirement or leaving the NHS, providing the above criteria are fulfilled. If retired completely, they may continue for two years following retirement
How to apply
To apply please complete an application form and submit it to [email protected].
You may find it useful to view the following guidance on the appointment and use of national assessors.