Graduate member (MBPsS)
Becoming a Graduate Member of the Society is the starting point to your career as a psychologist.
Graduate Basis for Chartered Membership (GBC)is an entry requirement for many Society accredited postgraduate training courses and is required for entry to all accredited Stage 2 and Doctoral programmes as part of the route to becoming a Chartered Psychologist. The GBC is awarded through a successful application to become a Graduate Member of the Society.
UK applicants for graduate membership and the GBC require an undergraduate honours degree at a minimum lower 2nd class honours level which is accredited by the Society or alternatively an accredited conversion course.
Student member to Graduate member – for current members only
Current Society Student members who have successfully completed their course of study can apply to upgrade their membership status to Graduate member.
The Society opened its course accreditation process to UK awards delivered internationally in 2014. If you have completed an accredited course and meet the eligibility requirements above, we will consider you as a UK applicant.
Non-UK applicants that have not completed an accredited course will be assessed individually to determine eligibility for graduate membership and the GBC (see note below regarding applicants with Irish qualifications).
To become a Graduate Member, the Society will consider:
- whether you hold a degree from a recognised university or comparable institution; and
- if it is of an equivalent standard to a British bachelors degree at a minimum of lower 2nd class honours level; and
- whether your degree includes at least 50 per cent psychology; and
- if your qualifications cover the core areas of the GBC in sufficient breadth and depth.
Special case criteria
Individuals who do not meet the conventional criteria may apply for graduate membership and the GBC via the Special Case Criteria for Graduate Membership.
Click here to view a short film showing what current Graduate members have to say about the importance of accreditation and why they joined the Society.
As a Graduate Member you can:
- use the designated graduate member title MBPsS
- help and support schools, colleges or higher education institutions by joining the Directory of Voluntary Careers Speakers.
- create contacts and other networking opportunities by joining professional and membership groups and more…
Subscription fees and payment methods
Our schedule of fees and payment methods. Reduced fees may apply if you have graduated within the last three years or you are a bona fide student enrolled on a postgraduate qualification and in receipt of insufficient income to pay tax.
UK and Non-UK applicants:
- download and complete the appropriate application form and send it to the address below with the following items;
- photocopies of your undergraduate degree certificate and transcript;
- application fee and subscription payment.
Please send your application form and accompanying documents to:
The British Psychological Society
St Andrews House
48 Princess Road East
Leicester LE1 7DR
Any queries, contact the Membership Team:
Email: [email protected]
Tel: +44 (0)116 252 9911
|UK and Non-UK applicants||Download format|
|Graduate member application form||.doc|
|Applicants on an accredited route to full divisional membership||Download format|
|Graduate member/ In training division application form||.doc|