This annual award recognises the valuable role that technicians play in supporting research within their psychology departments. It is offered by the British Psychological Society (BPS) in collaboration with the Association for Technical Staff in Psychology (ATSiP).
Candidates should provide evidence of excellence relating to at least FOUR of the EIGHT criteria.
1. Areas of skill: the development of new or use of existing technology in particular areas of psychology (e.g., developmental) or particular kinds of technology (e.g. podcasts) to enhance psychology student research skill development.
2. Interpersonal/communication skills: Interaction with staff and students.
3. Instruction/research skills: the development of new research materials; departmental systems to support the student research experience; support for lecturers/researchers.
4. Problem solving skills: the development of new or use of existing technology to develop solutions to problems relating to the development of psychology research skills.
5. Innovative skills: the development of new technology, or the innovative use of existing technology, to enhance the student research experience.
6. Special skills: research or other work concerning the use of new or existing technology that has enhanced the psychology student research experience.
7. Project management skills: experience of team leading, liaison with a range of stakeholders (both within and outside of the department).
8. Publications: evidence of publications (through a conference poster, conference presentation, journal article, official technical research report).
The nomination should take the form of a narrative report evidencing the criteria above.
This should be a maximum of 1000 words supported by testimonials from staff or students as appropriate.
Nominations should be submitted by the Head of Department, line manager or equivalent. Individuals can self-submit their application as long as it is signed off by their Head of Department, line manager or equivalent and has endorsements by other academic/research/teaching/ staff/students.
For further information on how to make a nomination and the award criteria please contact [email protected].
The closing date for nominations is 05th October 2018.
The award will be presented at both the Society’s Annual Conference and at the ATSiP annual conference.