27 February 2019
The work of a pioneering psychologist who blazed a trail both professionally and for her gender is to be marked by a building being named in her honour.
Born in 1884, Lucy Fildes was a senior founder member of the DECP and was best known for her ground-breaking work in child guidance.
She published a paper on dyslexia as early as 1921 and was later appointed chief psychologist of the new London Child Guidance Clinic.
In 1943 she initiated and chaired what was known as the Fildes Committee, which became the Committee of Professional Psychologists (Mental Health).
This became an important channel of engagement between the BPS and the NHS, and led to the formation of divisions within the society.
The naming ceremony will take place at 1 Meadow Road, Tunbridge Wells, the home of the Salomons Institute for Applied Psychology. Last year it was opened by the comedian Jo Brand and on 20 March it will be named the Lucy Fildes Building.
The naming, organised by Canterbury Christ Church University, will be marked by a free public lecture on Lucy Fildes’s career from Professor Elizabeth Valentine of Royal Holloway, University of London.
This lecture is free and open to the public. It will begin at 6.30pm, with refreshments being served from 6pm.
Please email Sarah Dennis at Canterbury Christ Church if you plan to come along.