The West Midlands Branch of the BPS represents over 4000 members and covers a large geographical area.
Awards & Funding
Bursary Scheme for MembersShow content
The BPS West Midlands Branch offers several bursaries for Psychology Undergraduate Students, Postgraduate Students or Early Career Researchers who require support to attend BPS conferences, training events or help with research travel costs. You are eligible to apply for a bursary if you are a member of the BPS and willing to submit a short report about the attended event, which will be published in our bi-annual branch newsletter.
We have three application deadlines throughout the year (1 March, 1 July, and 1 November) and can award up to £100 for conferences, workshops or training events to:
- 5 x Undergraduate students
- 5 x Postgraduate students
- 5 x Early Career Researchers
And up to £50 for travel costs to: 10 x Undergraduates, Postgraduates or Early Career Researchers
Applications will be reviewed by the Branch Committee members after each deadline and all applicants will be notified if they have been successful within 2 - 3 weeks.
Please note: You are eligible to submit several applications per year; but your previous successful bursary application will be taken into account. Each successful bursary must be claimed within 4 months; should a bursary not be claimed in the allocated time period, this will be taken into account with any future applications you make.
Bursary applications made for events that have already occurred are also welcomed (e.g. you can submit an application for the March round, following attendance at a workshop in February). Retrospective applications should not be made for events attended more than 6 weeks prior to the bursary deadlines however.
We would be grateful if you could submit your article for our newsletter within 2 months following your successful application and event attendance.
In order to be eligible to apply, you must be a member of the BPS West Midlands Branch.
Guidance on submitting an application for a bursary
In order to make an application for a bursary, candidates should complete the application form. The completed form should then be returned at least three weeks before the event.
- Evidence of exploring alternative funding options and cheapest forms of transport/accommodation should be stated.
- Please clearly state the total amount of funding required and provide details of the cost break-down (e.g. registration fees, accommodation, travel etc.).
- Please complete all sections of the application and check all details are correct, especially your corresponding email address.
- Successful applicants must be willing to write a short article for our bi-annual newsletter.
- The relevance of the conference, workshop or training event to your education or research should be highlighted within your application.
How to apply
If your application is successful, we will require proof of attendance and the costs incurred. Please hold onto your receipts until you hear back from the BPS West Midlands Branch committee.