The Special Group in Coaching Psychology supports coaching psychologists, coaches, individual clients and organisations who are interested in learning more about coaching psychology and coaching services.
SGCP Careers Resources
Careers in Coaching PsychologyShow content
The Special Group in Coaching Psychology (SGCP) manages a Register of Coaching Psychologists which provides recognition for Coaching Psychologists, allowing them to differentiate their services and gain acknowledgement of their expertise. At the moment, in order to be eligible to join the Register of Coaching Psychologists you must:
- be a Chartered Member of the British Psychological Society
- be a full member of the SGCP
- be able to declare that you are committed to the Coaching Psychology Knowledge and Experience Framework and undertake to put in to practice
- be able to supply the details of two referees who are Chartered Psychologists and are able to attest to your knowledge and skills in Coaching Psychology, with reference to the agreed framework
If you are a Chartered Member of the BPS and you have previously undertaken coach training and/or have considerable experience of using coaching in your applied practice, then please do complete the application form and to gain recognition as a Coaching Psychologist.
If you are a Chartered Member of the BPS and you want to undertake some formal coach training then we recommend that you scrutinise the content of any course that you are considering in order to ensure that it meets the knowledge and experience framework. We also recommend that you join the SGCP, and undertake supervision with a coaching psychologist and/or join one of our Peer Practice Groups. This will help to provide you with support to hone your skills, and connect you with practitioners who will then be able to attest to your knowledge and skills.
We are currently working on routes to becoming a Coaching Psychologist for those who are not currently Chartered Psychologists. We anticipate that this work will lead to:
- tiered levels of the coaching register which will open the register up to non-chartered members who have training in coaching psychology
- accredited courses that will provide standard training in coaching psychology
- a route to Chartered status through training in coaching psychology (Chartered Coaching Psychologist)
Watch this space for updates on this work.
We aim to be the career companion of coaching psychologists, and we welcome everyone, regardless of whether you have previously studied psychology or not, to attend our continuing professional development events and our attend our annual conference. These events will help you to keep up to date with developments in the coaching psychology profession.
Register of Coaching PsychologistShow content
The Register of Coaching Psychologists provides a means for Society Members who have specialist expertise in the field of Coaching Psychology to achieve recognition of their expertise and to differentiate their services. It is also a key resource for anyone wishing to access the services of, or check the credentials of a Coaching Psychologist.
The Society provides resources and information to help further your career in psychology on its Become a Psychologist page.
The information on offer includes details and advice about: