The London and Home Counties Branch has over 17,000 members and is the largest member network within the BPS.
The branch committee largely organises talks, networking events and conferences. One of the most important activities we organise is a series of career talks by established practitioners.
The region is home to psychologists working in many of the UK’s top universities, hospitals, companies and charities as well as the government. Our geographical boundaries are somewhat idiosyncratic, covering most but not all of Greater London, and extending outside the M25 to Kent, eastern Berkshire, and southern parts of Buckinghamshire, Bedfordshire and Hertfordshire. Most of our events are held in the BPS Offices in London but we also run events in hubs at the University of Hertfordshire, the University of Kent and in Windsor.
Broadly the committee is focused on providing services for members:
- Continuing professional development for practitioners (and researchers), working in conjunction with the BPS divisions. This means presentations on best practice and relevant research
- Events to increase the public awareness of psychology
- Help for students (mainly in navigating their way along the career path, not necessarily within traditional psychology routes, but also offering support for students and trainee psychologists)
- Networking, to enable members from different disciplines to meet
- Social media to open up communication channels between the committee and members, and between members
- Support for BPS policy initiatives