This workshop introduces a new 1:1 therapeutic framework incorporating the best parts from different schools of CBT, counselling and other psychotherapeutic approaches entitled T.E.A.M. CBT. T.E.A.M.
CBTI is “trans diagnostic” and is rapidly effective for mood problems, relationship problems and habits and addictions.
The day is led by Dr Peter Spurrier who has considerable experience of using TEAM-CBT in psychotherapy as well as coaching and mentoring.
Would you like to...
• Explore techniques to make therapy more effective, in a shorter period of time?
• Discover ways to check how you're doing as a therapist, and connect better with your patients?
• Learn about some innovative, powerful innovative approaches and techniques?
Would you like to learn and practice together how to:
• Explore ways of quickly finding out how your clients are feeling and use that information to increase your empathetic listening
• Discover a method to track effectiveness of your work and how you come across to clients
• Learn about overall structure that can contain your current methods of working
• Find out about a process to handle clients who appear resistant or stuck
• Try out some methods to challenge distorted cognitions
This is a workshop for all Psychologists working 1 to 1 with clients who wish to introduce even more effective methods to their practice.* Designed and developed by Dr Burns and applied in a range of contexts including Clinical, Counselling and Coaching Psychology. Five TEAM CBT practitioners, working in different settings, will take you through each of the key steps and associated techniques in an interactive set of sessions. The day will end with Dr Burns holding an hour's Q&A with participants.
*“Although T.E.A.M. can provide extraordinarily fast recovery from depression and anxiety, it also involves a change that transcends mere recovery.” (Dr Burns, 2020).
T.E.A.M. stands for T for Testing; E for Empathy; A for Assessment of resistance & Agenda setting; M for Methods-to address the agenda.
- Testing - Ways to explore ways of quickly finding out how your clients are feeling and use that information to track the effectiveness of your work with them.
- Empathy - A particularly effective set of empathy skills
- Assessment for Resistance- A process to handle clients who appear resistant or stuck, and ways to "head off" that resistance before even starting therapy.
- Methods- A taste of one or two of a large number of tried and tested tools to address the problems that clients want help with as well as an overall structure that can allow for many techniques, some of which you may already be familiar with. The guiding principle is “Tools not Schools”.
|09:30||Welcome & Introductions|
|09:40||An outline of TEAM-CBT|
T for Testing. Explore ways of quickly finding out how your clients are feeling and using that information to lead into empathetic listening. Look at a method to track effectiveness of your work and how you come across to clients.
E for Empathy: Learn about and try out some clear and teachable empathy skills.
|12:00||A for Assessment of resistance /Agenda setting. Find out about a process to handle clients who appear resistant or stuck. How to head off that resistance before even starting therapy.|
|14:00||M for Methods: Learn about a number of tools to address the problems that clients want help with and an overall structure that can allow many techniques, some of which you will probably already be familiar with.|
Q&A with Dr David Burns
During the workshop there will be a Q&A with Dr David Burns, Psychiatrist and Professor Emeritus department of Psychiatry and Behavioural Sciences at Stanford University School of Medicine and author of "The Feeling Good Handbook". He devised the TEAM CBT approach. Attendees will have the opportunity to learn about the approach from Peter and his colleagues.
Registration is now open and available online only.
|Non BPS Members||£95.00|
*All prices include VAT
In order to register for the event, you will need to sign in using your log in details. If you are not a returning customer, you will need to create a free account.
Joining instructions will be sent the day prior to the event, these will be sent to your BPS registered email address.
*Please note it is cheaper to join SGIP than to register as a BPS delegate*
To become a SGIP member please click here.
Have a query?
Contact us at [email protected]