Public speaking skills for those who don’t even dare turn on the screen or step on stage – or are looking to enhance basic skills.
Even if you cannot think of anything worse, giving a presentation, a lecture or an expert comment may be a part of your job description, so if you're going to do it, you may as well feel a little bit better about it. This session will support you with basic presentation and public speaking skills generally as well as on camera/online.
This session will look at presentation and public speaking skills applicable generally as well as on camera. It will cover the following areas:
- Speaking with impact (including use of props/visual aids/exercises/NVC)
- Structuring a presentation (including which “voice” is most effective)
- A few words on “speaking/interviewing on camera”
This is a practical webinar session. Participants will be invited to demonstrate their skills. Participants must have video turned on (Zoom) and be prepared to speak.
Public speaking (whether as a teacher/lecturer) or a TED talker – is a performance skill. Yes, you may know your stuff, but if your audience doesn’t understand you, this will not only impact on their learning, but on their impression of you as well.
Many people have the confidence to stand and deliver – not quite as many have the skills to do it well! And for some people nothing strikes more fear into their heart than the fact that they are going to have to present their work.
Presenting is part of being a researcher, it is part of being a teacher, and in many ways part of any job we will do so we may as well learn the basics. Everyone is going to have their own style, their own approach, but there are a number of things we can manage prior to meeting our audience that will enhance and elevate anyone’s performance.
Participants must have video and be prepared to speak!
This webinar is for anyone who doesn’t even dare turn on the screen or step on stage – or are looking to enhance basic skills whatever their profession. This would also be ideal for students, graduates and those newly qualified.
This webinar will be recorded and made available as a recording for everyone who registers.
Skills that will be covered:
1. Vocal and breathing exercises for clarity and looking after your voice
2. Open/close/key message
3. Type of presenter/type of voice
4. Use of vocal range
5. Use of props/gimmicks
6. Effective body language and gesture
7. Presenting for the camera (for example placement, background, slides, sitting or standing etc.)
8. Presentation skills: Performance Identifying all (and practicing some) of the performance skills needed whether presenting offline or on!
9. Non-verbal communication: Identifying with feedback personal tips and ideas to improve impact in presentations (including body language, gesture, ppt, personal habits/nervous ticks/posture, movement & stance, sitting or standing, context of delivery, using props or gimmicks, setting the scene prior to presentation) – both in person and on camera
10. Presentation fears and concerns: Discussion of any worries you may have about presenting and general Q&A
A workbook summarising the session in full will be provided.
Presenter: Presenter: Dr Audrey Tang CPsychol
Audrey is a Chartered Psychologist and an award-winning author with a focus on practical self-improvement. She is also a member of British Actor's Equity, a qualified drama teacher, and as well as directing community theatre for 30 years, you'll catch her in James Bond: Spectre (in the "Nine Eyes Convention"). In her day job she hosts the podcast 'Retrain Your Brain for Success', and The Wellbeing Lounge on NLiveRadio, presents "Psych Back to Basics" on DisruptiveTV, and is the resident psychologist on Channel 4's "Don't Diet Lose Weight", and The Chrissy B Show (Sky) the UK's only TV programme dedicated to mental health and wellbeing. She regularly offers expert comment as a psychologist through TV, Radio and published media and is a Keynote speaker for conferences and events.
|Price||£80.00 (£ 66.67 + VAT)
|Society member||£48.50 (£40.42 + VAT)|
|Society student members||
£25.00 (£20.83 + £4.17)
1. Online bookings will close at 11:00 on the day of the webinar.
2. A Zoom link to join the webinar will be sent to everyone registered on the webinar day.
To register for the webinar you need to sign into your BPS user account or create a new account by clicking the ‘create an account’ button. When signed in, click the ‘register’ button to book onto the webinar.
There is a £15 cancellation fee.
Professional Development Centre