The brain is the starting point for all of our thoughts, emotions, choices and behaviours. And coaching aims to influence people to make different choices.
This event is targeted at coaches and coaching psychologists who are interested in the brain and want to begin to understand how emerging neuroscience research can be translated for use in coaching practice.
Thus, understanding more about the brain has the potential to allow coaches to direct their interventions more appropriately to suit the way our brains work.
In this one day masterclass, Professor Patricia Riddell will provide a basic introduction to the working of the brain, the most important components and the way they work together to create different behaviours.
She will introduce some recent neuroscientific concepts that help to explain why behaviour change is often difficult to achieve and will provide some ideas to help overcome this. The day will include both content and interactive exercises to allow you to put some new ideas into practice.
At the end of the masterclass:
- You will have a better understanding of the brain, its components and how these are put together to produce flexible behaviours.
- You will have explored the concept of neuroplasticity and its implications for behaviour change
- You will have looked at how decisions are made in the brain and how you can help people to make better decisions
- You will have a neural model of how habits form and how to break them
- You will have explored some of the difficulties in changing behaviour and will have practiced techniques that have the potential to free up changes in behaviour.
Who is the course intended for?
The course is suitable for students through to chartered psychologists and academics.
BPS Offices, London, Tabernacle Street
30 Tabernacle Street,
Please note, all speakers, timings and content are subject to change.
|09:30||Registration & coffee|
|10:00||Welcome & Introductions|
|10:30||Understanding the brain structure|
|11:30||Neuroplasticity and implications|
|14:00||Decision-making and bias|
|15:30||The challenges of behavioural change|
|Concessionary Members of the BPS||£87.00 (£72.50 + VAT)|
|SGCP Members||£125.00 (£104.17 + VAT)|
|BPS Members||£150.00 (£125.00 + VAT)|
|Affiliate Subscribers||£182.00 (£151.67 + VAT)|
|E-Subscribers||£194.00 (£161.67 + VAT)|
|Non-Members of the BPS||£200.00 (£166.67 + VAT)|