- Psychology & the public
- What we do
- Member networks
- Careers, education & training
Chartered scientist (CSci)
The Society is able to confer the designation of Chartered Scientist on behalf of the Science Council.
Chartered Scientist status reflects best practice in science and is viewed as a significant qualification throughout science professions in the UK.
Psychologists increasingly work in interdisciplinary environments, so it is important to receive professional recognition from your fellow scientists.
What does the title Chartered Scientist do?
- It shows that your scientific work is based on best practice.
- It demonstrates that you are up to date with advanced knowledge, skills and competencies as a scientist.
- It provides you with professional recognition that is respected throughout scientific communities.
- It instils wider confidence for your employer, colleagues and the public by showing them you value scientific knowledge, methods and professionalism.
- You can use the post-nominal initials, CSci.
Continuing Professional Development (CPD)
In addition, we have developed a top tips document to assist Chartered Scientists with logging their CPD on the myCPD system. If you have any further queries that may not be addressed via either of these resources then please email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Who can apply?
The designation of Chartered Scientist costs £40 for the first year. There is an annual renewal fee of £40 thereafter. You are eligible to become a Chartered Scientist if you are:
- a graduate member with a research doctorate in psychology and at least two years’ post-doctoral experience;
- a Chartered Psychologist with at least two years’ post-Chartered experience; or
- a Fellow or Associate Fellow of the Society
- To apply, download and complete the Chartered Scientist Application Form (with guidance notes)
Send your completed form to:
The British Psychological Society
St Andrews House
48 Princess Road East
Leicester LE1 7DR
Below are two case studies of our members who have gone through the application process to become a Chartered Scientist:
If you have any queries, contact:
Tel: +44 (0)116 252 9911