- Psychology & the public
- What we do
- Member networks
- Careers, education & training
John Marzillier shortlisted for award
A book by Dr John Marzillier, a Fellow of the British Psychological Society and Chartered Psychologist, has been shortlisted for Mind’s 2011 Book of the Year Award.
The Gossamer Thread: My Life as a Psychotherapist, published by Karnac Books, is a memoir of Dr Marzillier's professional life as a psychologist and psychotherapist. It shows his progression from a hard-nosed behaviour therapist with a strong commitment to science to a psychodynamic therapist with an interest in narrative.
Along the way he shows the way the main schools of psychotherapy work, drawing on case material from his professional practice.
Professor Paul Gilbert from the University of Derby, also a Society Fellow, has called The Gossamer Thread: ‘An insightful and entertaining account of what it takes to work as a psychotherapist ... John Marzillier has produced a book that is warmly written, very informative and a pleasure to read.”
The other books shortlisted for Mind’s Book of the Year Award, which is celebrating its 30th year, are:
- Diary Drawings: Mental Illness and Me - Bobby Baker
- Grace Williams Says it out Loud - Emma Henderson
- The Woman who Thought too Much - Joanne Limburg
- What to Look for in Winter: A Memoir in Blindness - Candia McWilliam
- Teach us to Sit Still: A Sceptic’s Search for Health and Healing - Tim Parks
- Broken Places - Wendy Perriam
- This Party's Got to Stop - Rupert Thomson
The winner will be announced by Mind at the end of July.