Welcome to the Transpersonal Psychology Section
Transpersonal Psychology addresses the spiritual nature of humankind. Unlike religion and theology, its interest centres on the mind and behaviour; hence it is a branch of Psychology. All the major spiritual and mystical traditions of the world incorporate teachings about the nature of mind and promote behavioural practices intended - amongst other goals - to bring about psychological transformations. Transpersonal psychology addresses these teachings and practices, researching their value and evaluating their relationships to ideas promulgated in Psychology. In essence Transpersonal Psychology seeks to integrate non-scientific spiritual insights with observations and models associated with the rigorous methodological approach of psychological science.
For further information, please click here.
The Section develops and maintains links, both nationally and internationally, with other scientific bodies concerned with transpersonal psychology. It acquires and disseminates information on the subject, and encourages lively debate in order to increase its accessibility to a steadily increasing body of interest.
It holds an annual residential conference involving experiential workshops and academic papers, and offers day events during the course of the year. Section members, unwaged and full-time students are given reduced rates to all events. Subscription includes a substantial publication, The Transpersonal Psychology Review issued once year, which contains peer reviewed articles, book reviews, Section news and less formal personal submissions.
An email group specifically designed for our section has been created so that we can email documents and announcements to all members via the internet which will reduce the amount of surface mail we all receive and aid us in communicating with one another. Click here to join the announcement list.
To join the Transpersonal Psychology Section you must already be a member, affiliate or student subscriber of the British Psychological Society.
Annual membership of the Transpersonal Psychology Section is currently 10 GBP (3 GBP for student members). Membership of the section includes subscription to the section periodical, the Transpersonal Psychology Review.
To join this section, please complete the Section Membership form and return with payment for the appropriate amount to:
British Psychological Society,
- Find a psychologist
- Our influence
- Awards & grants
- A level & scottish highers award
- Public engagement & media award
- BPS POST postgraduate award
- Distinguished contributions to psychology in practice
- Doctoral Award
- Excellence in psychology education
- PEB: Lifetime achievement award
- PPB: Lifetime achievement award
- Practitioner of the Year
- Postgraduate study visits scheme
- Presidents' award
- Postdoctoral conference bursary scheme
- RB: Lifetime achievement award
- Research seminar competition
- Spearman medal
- Undergraduate award
- Undergraduate research assistantship scheme
- William Inman prize
- Postdoctoral Study Visits Scheme
- Book Award
- Award for Innovation in Psychology Programmes
- Award for Promoting Equality of Opportunity
- BPS/ATSiP Technical Support in Psychological Research Award
- BPS/ATSiP Technical Support in Psychological Teaching Award
- International Conference Symposium Scheme
- Public Engagement Grants
- Sections Initiative Fund
- Society qualifications
- Press centre