- Psychology & the public
- What we do
- Member networks
- Careers, education & training
Society office staff vacancies
This page contains information about vacancies in the Society's administrative offices. For information about jobs specifically for psychologists, see our Psychologist Appointments website.
The British Psychological Society is the learned Society and professional body for psychologists in the UK. The Society aims to encourage the development of psychology, improve standards of training and practice, raise public awareness and increase the influence of psychological practice in society. With a membership of over 50,000 and over 90 staff in Leicester, new opportuntiies are continually being created within our teams.
To apply for any of the vacancies below, please send a CV and covering letter linking your skills to our specific needs and quoting the job reference you are applying for, and how you found out about the vacancy, to
The British Psychological Society
48 Princess Road East
LEICESTER LE1 7DR
Director of Policy and Communications
Leicester and London
The Society has launched a new 5-year Strategic Plan and a major priority is to maximise the impact of psychology upon public policy. In order to realise this objective, we are looking for a dynamic and experienced individual to further enhance our public affairs and communications function and drive forward the public policy work of the Society.
You will have:
- A good first degree or equivalent;
- A track record of successful management in the public/not for profit sector;
- Significant knowledge and experience of UK and EU legislative systems;
- Extensive experience of policy development in a governance environment;
- A record of significant success in the dissemination of evidence-based advice and policy statements to influence public policymakers and to inform the wider public;
- A good knowledge of public policy-related aspects of psychology.
Extensive knowledge of technical developments across the media, and an educational background in Psychology are desirable.
Our administrative centre is in Leicester. The successful candidate will also be required to work in our London office on a regular basis, traveling to our offices in Belfast, Cardiff and Edinburgh as required.
The Society operates generous holiday, pension and flexible working arrangements.
The closing date for applications is noon on Wednesday 11 November 2015. Interviews will be held on Friday 4 December 2015 at our London office.
The following information and documents give background to the Society, the types of role and the terms and conditions we offer to all posts:
- Summary Terms & Conditions
- Equal Opportunities monitoring form
- About the BPS
- Our Strategic Plan
- Office structure
- The Society Offices
- Travel and subsistence expense claim form
- Right to work checklist (link to information on the Home Office site)
The Society operates generous holiday, pension and sickness policies and flexible working arrangements. For all posts, exposure to the current Higher Education or charities sectors would be an advantage.