An introduction to approaches that integrate psychological, physical and spiritual health for people with neurological conditions.
Neurological conditions (e.g., acquired brain injuries such as stroke or traumatic brain injury, Parkinson’s disease, multiple sclerosis, the dementias) commonly present with simultaneous physical, cognitive, emotional and social challenges. Subjectively, survivors of these conditions articulate a profound existential threat. Furthermore, one commonly-neglected dimension of neurological service provision is the support for spiritual health.
This workshop introduces a range of approaches currently used in neurological services and/or research/social/community initiatives, which either actively integrate physical and psychological functioning, and/or address the spiritual dimension of neurological conditions. These have been informed by both Eastern and Western spiritual and philosophical traditions. Specific presentations, provided by leading clinical psychologists/researchers in related fields, will cover:
- Mindfulness for mixed neurological conditions
- Body in mind Training for complex health conditions
- Compassion-Focused Therapy for people with dementia
- Acceptance and Commitment Therapy and Yoga for neurological conditions
- The value of flow states from tai chi and other Daoist mind-body practices for neurological conditions
- Supporting prayer and spiritual health for people with dementia
Each presenter will provide an overview of the current literature and evidence of the impact of such practices on people with neurological conditions. Specific examples from their own practice will be shared. Some presenters will also offer brief experiential exercises to support learning.
Psychologists: Members of the Division of Clinical Psychology (DCP), DCP Holistic Faculty;DCP Faculty Psychology of Older People (FPOP); Division of Neuropsychology (DoN); Transpersonal Psychology.
Other key professions: Physiotherapists; Occupational Therapists; Alternative Therapists (Yoga & Tai Chi instructors).
BPS London Office
30 Tabernacle Street
- Delegates will increase their awareness of varied mind-body therapies used with neurological conditions, and their unique contribution alongside other psychological interventions
- An appreciation of different psychological frameworks for understanding and supporting spiritual needs following neurological conditions
- An understanding of how spiritual-philosophical frameworks from around the world have been applied within Western health and social care interventions
- Delegates will benefit from both didactic and experiential learning during the workshop
Facilitators: Dr Giles Yeates CPsychol AFBPsS
Dr Giles Yeates is a clinical neuropsychologist and Tai Chi instructor. He is a member of the Society’s DCP Holistic Faculty and Division of Neuropsychology. His clinical and research work has been dedicated to the development and adaptation of psychological therapies for neurological conditions, and Dr Yeates has published widely on this topic. He is editor of the journal Neuro-Disability & Psychotherapy.
Dr Yeates has also trained in Tai Chi and Kung Fu with the Daoist monks in Wudang mountain in China. He both teaches these arts to the general population and more recently has been innovating the use of Tai Chi in neurological services, both in his NHS post and as an independent practitioner.
Dr Niels Detert CPsychol AFBPsS
Dr Tamara Russell CPsychol
Dr Rebecca Poz CPsychol AFBPsS
Dr Priyanka Pradhan CPsychol
Rvd Cannon Dr Joanna Collicutt
For more information on the facilitators and programme please click here.
10:00 Workshop starts
12:50 – 13:20 Lunch (provided)
16:30 Workshop ends
|Non-Members||£240.00 (£200.00 + VAT)|
£150.00 (£125.00 + VAT)
Please note: online bookings will close on 3 May 2018. Please call +44 (0)1952 214065 for availability after this point.
To pay by cheque or request an invoice (a purchase order is required for invoices) please complete and return the registration form.
For further information on booking please contact:
+ 44 (0)1952 214065
BPS Events - Bookings
PO Box 87