Psychometric Testing: Understanding testing (level 1)
This workshop will explore the issues in the area of psychometric testing, particularly around the social construction of tests and their use as an aid to diagnosis. We will examine whether tests can be used in a constructive and client friendly way.
This is an introduction to using test materials as an integral part of both assessment and the therapeutic process. Susan has taught this workshop on several postgraduate psychology courses.
09:30 Registration/Tea and Coffee
10:00 Workshop starts
16:00 Workshop ends
Please note: This workshop is only open to psychologists.
On completion of the workshop attendees will be able to:
- discuss the implications of using psychometric tests as counselling psychologists
- understand the basic statistical principles on which psychometric tests are founded
- understand the need for uniform presentation of assessment materials
- give appropriate feedback to clients (basic level)
- integrate the psychometric assessment within the therapeutic experience
Further workshops are also available:
- Psychometrics 2: Essentials of Ability testing (2 days)
- Psychometrics 3: Therapeutic use of personality assessments (2 days)
Attendance at Psychometrics 1: Understanding testing is highly recommended so delegates may fully participate in both Ability Assessment and Personality Assessment workshops.
Facilitator: Susan van Scoyoc CPsychol CSci
Susan is a Chartered Psychologist and Chartered Scientist. She is a member of the Division of Counselling Psychology, the Division of Health Psychology, and is a founding member of the Register of Psychologists Specialising in Psychotherapy. Susan has a long-term interest in the use of psychometric assessment and has gained BPS Level A and B certificates in psychometric testing. She is a past chair of the Division of Counselling Psychology and has published papers exploring the use of psychometric tests by Counselling Psychologists.
This workshop is suitable for all trainees on BPS accredited postgraduate courses and chartered psychologists.
Please note: This course does not lead to a Society qualification in testing.
BPS Members £130 + VAT
Non-members £195 + VAT
How to register
Register online by visiting the BPS Shop.
Complete and return the registration form.
Society's London Office
30 Tabernacle Street
Tel: +44(0)116 252 9925