- Psychology & the public
- What we do
- Member networks
- Careers, education & training
Psychometric Testing: Essentials of ability testing (level 2)
This workshop will explore the issues around the use of ability tests and focus on giving a practical training in their use with clients in clinical settings. The meaning of results obtained and their reliability will be discussed.
This is an introduction to using test materials as an integral part of both assessment and the therapeutic process. Susan has taught this workshop on several postgraduate counselling psychology courses. The workshop has previously taken place under the title Ability Assessments using Wechsler materials (Level 2).
09:30 Registration/Tea and Coffee
10:00 Workshop starts
16:00 Workshop ends
Please note: This workshop is only open to psychologists.
Participants will learn to:
- discuss the implications of using psychometric tests as counselling psychologists
- understand the basic statistical principles on which ability tests are founded
- adminster Wechsler based materials such as the WASI, WAIS
- interpret results of ability tests
- understand the need for uniform presentation of assessment materials
- give appropriate feedback to clients (basic level)
- understand the implications of test results to determine access to services and also in a court setting.
Further workshops are also available:
- Psychometrics 1: Understanding testing (1 day)
- Psychometrics 3: Therapeutic use of personality assessments (2 days)
Attendance at Psychometrics Masterclass 1: Understanding testing is required so delegates may fully participate in both Ability Assessment and Personality Assessment
Facilitator: Susan van Scoyoc CPsychol CSci
Susan is a Chartered Psychologist and Chartered Scientist. She is a member of the Division of Counselling Psychology, the Division of Health Psychology, and is a founding member of the Register of Psychologists Specialising in Psychotherapy. Susan has a long-term interest in the use of psychometric assessment and has gained BPS Level A and B certificates in psychometric testing. She is a past chair of the Division of Counselling Psychology and has published papers exploring the use of psychometric tests by counselling psychologists.
This workshop is suitable for all trainees on BPS accredited postgraduate courses and chartered psychologists.
Please note: This course does not lead to a Society qualification in testing.
BPS Members £250 + VAT
Non-members £395 + VAT
How to register
Register online by visiting the BPS Shop.
To pay by cheque or invoice, complete and return the registration form.
Society's London Office
30 Tabernacle Street
BPS Learning Centre
Tel: +44(0)116 252 9925