- Psychology & the public
- What we do
- Member networks
- Careers, education & training
Masterclass in Applied Sport Psychology (Golfmind)
This course has been approved by the BPS Learning Centre for the purposes of Continuing Professional Development (CPD).The course is offered by Golfmind.
Course information has been provided by Golfmind.
“The Elvis approach: Innovative methods of delivery with athletes”.
09:30 to 16:30
The Masterclass will look at a range of delivery issues facing sport psychologists. The emphasis will be on applied skills:
- Being innovative: making psychology not feel like 'psychology'
- Group & individual engagement with athletes
- Enhancing rapport and trust with athletes
- Using creativity, stories and humour in your sport psychology delivery
- Use of voice, body and props: making your presence felt
- Time limited considerations.
You should attend if you:
- Are a qualified psychologist and want to advance your expertise in sport
- Are undergoing supervised training and wish to move beyond „mental skills? work
- Are a postgraduate student and want to further your applied knowledge
- Are a practitioner working with athletes to develop their psychological approach
- Want to gain insights/techniques to increase your impact with athletes
- Feel the current provision of workshops in sport psychology do not meet your needs
- Want to take part in a unique training opportunity to develop your practitioner skills
- Wish to learn more about sport psychology in a relaxed environment.
What you will gain from the Masterclass:
- New ideas about working on psychological processes with athletes
- Ways to develop vital professional relationship skills through innovative delivery
- Better engagement of your athletes with psychology for performance
- A refreshing approach to delivery of psychological concepts in sport
- Seven hours of knowledge and application from a highly qualified and experienced psychologist working in elite sport in the UK for the past 18 years
- A certificate of attendance
Facilitator: Dr Brian Hemmings CPsychol
Brian has been the lead psychologist to the England golf team for 15 years delivering high performance strategies with European and World Championship winning teams and individuals at men's, youth and junior level. During this time he has helped develop the mental skills of the best young emerging English golfers, some of whom he still works with in professional European Tour golf. He is also lead psychologist to the English Women's Golf Association, and consults with players on the Ladies European Tour.
Brian also has a wealth of experience in many other sports, having worked with championship winning teams in professional cricket (1997 to present), 12 medallists in Olympic and Commonwealth Games boxing (1993-2000), and podium winners in single seat motor racing including Formula Ford, Formula 3, Superleague Formula, A1GP, GP2 & Formula 1 (1993 to present). In nearly twenty years of active consultancy he has worked with many successful international performers in a variety of sports. Whilst golf consultancy takes up most of his time, Brian is still actively working in professional cricket, motor racing and grand prix speedway.
He has published three books, numerous peer-review papers, and presented at international conferences. Brian has hosted conferences and training workshops for psychologists for over a decade.
Though working full-time in private practice since 2006, Brian still has a strong academic profile (affiliated to St. Mary's University College) and has fulfilled several professional body committee roles with BASES and the BPS Division of Sport and Exercise Psychology. He gained his PhD from the University of Southampton in 1998; and has successfully supervised many trainee sport psychology practitioners over the last 12 years. He is also trained in hypnotherapy.
Dr. Brian Hemmings has professional qualifications and registration with The British Association of Sport and Exercise Sciences (BASES), The British Psychological Society and the Health Professions Council.
Early Booking fee
The full fee must be paid by 30 November 2011. The fee includes lunch and refreshments.
Discounted accommodation has also been negotiated with the hotel, but must be booked independently*. Best flexible advance purchase rates are available online and vary according to booking date. Please call Hazel Forrester on 01788 824810 or email quoting reference 'Golfmind Masterclass'.
*Accommodation and breakfast/evening meals are not included in the course price.
How to book
Masterclass places are limited to retain a high-quality individual learning experience. You are advised to book early to avoid disappointment.
An application form with a range of payment options, and extensive venue details can be found on the Golfmind website.
To discuss your Masterclass place please telephone 01788 510896 or send an email.
Rugby/Northampton Holiday Inn
M1 junction 18
To discuss your Masterclass place, please telephone 01788 510896.
To book your discounted accommodation, please contact Hazel Forrester on 01788 824810.