Expert Witness: The Use of Psychometric Assessments for Court (Level 4)
This workshop provides participants with the knowledge needed to use and provide expert testimony that incorporates the use of psychometric assessments. The workshop will focus upon the use of psychiatric assessments in the expert witness report and when giving evidence in court
09:30 Registration/Tea and Coffee
10:00 Workshop starts
16:30 Workshop ends
Courts are increasingly looking to experts to provide what they regard as scientific, validated assessments through the use of psychometric assessments. Whilst the use of such psychometric assessments might be useful there are difficulties presented by their use, particularly in a court setting. This workshop explores some common pitfalls and how to avoid them. The choice of assessment tools, the skills needed and the importance of careful interpretation will be discussed.
This workshop is not intended to teach participants the theory or practice of using psychometric assessments. It is intended to consider the use of psychometrics within a legal setting, as an expert witness.
This workshop is intended for psychologists already familiar with using psychometric assessments.
This is skills based training for psychologists acting as expert witnesses. This workshop is an advanced workshop which follows the series of three workshops offered to provide a strong foundation for providing services as an expert witness. To attend level 4 workshops delegates must have attended the previous workshops (Levels 1 to 3).
- Expert Witness: Essential Knowledge of Being an Expert Witness (Level 1)
- Expert Witness: Report Writing (Level 2)
- Expert Witness: Presenting Court Room Evidence (Level 3)
- Expert Witness: Using Psychometric Measures for Court (Level 4)
- Expert Witness: For Family Court Proceedings (Level 4)
- Expert Witness: For Civil Courts (Level 4)
- Expert Witness: For Criminal Courts (Level 4)
Learning outcomes and objectives
- Understand the usefulness and limitations of psychometric assessments in a court setting
- Understand the importance of presenting psychometric results clearly in their evidence based reports
- Understand the importance of incorporating the psychometric results to inform opinion but not allowing them to dominate
Facilitator: Susan van Scoyoc C Psychol CSci AFBPsS
Susan has acted as an expert witness as an applied psychologist for a number of years. She offers training in small group environments in order to assist psychologist colleagues to learn how to present their existing knowledge at its best in legal settings. Susan is a member of the UK Register of Expert Witnesses as well as on the BPS Registers for supervision, psychologists specialising in psychotherapy and psychometric testing.
- Non-Society members: £234 (£195 + VAT)
Society members: £156 (£130 + VAT)
From 1 January 2013:
- Non-Society members: £252 (£210 + VAT)
Society members: £168 (£140 + VAT)
How to book:
Please note: online bookings will close 24 hours prior to the event. Please call +44 (0)116 2529512 for availability after this point.
To pay by cheque or request an invoice complete and return the registration form.
Please note that we are only able to accept invoice requests at least 6 weeks before the event date.
Tel: +44 (0)116 252 9925
Fax: +44 (0)116 227 1314