Expert Witness: Report Writing (Level 2)
This workshop will explore the essential knowledge of becoming an expert witness to the court, including the role and duties of the expert, how to set fees and how the legal profession views experts.
09:30 Registration/tea and coffee
10:00 Workshop starts
16:00 Workshop ends
This is an introduction to the legal system and how skills as a psychologist can be used in such a setting.
This workshop aims to enable psychologists to understand the important ethical, business and professional issues associated with becoming or already being an expert witness. It is suitable for those considering such work or have expereince of working as an Expert Witness. It is suitable for members of all divisions.
Attendees will discuss the term "Expert Witness" and the duties of an Expert Witness. The difference between being an expert in civil, criminal and family cases will be explored. Information will be given on how to manage the business aspects including how to approach solicitors for work, setting fee scales and more. A brief introduction to styles of report writing and court appearance will be given.
This is skills based training for psychologists acting as expert witnesses. This workshop serves as a foundation to attending the series of workshops.
It is strongly recommended that you attend Levels 1, 2 and 3 sequentially before attending Level 4 workshops:
- Expert Witness: Essential Knowledge of Being an Expert Witness (Level 1)
- Expert Witness: Report Writing (Level 2)
- Expert Witness: Presenting Court Room Evidence (Level 3)
- Expert Witness: The use of psychometric assessments for court (Level 4)
- Expert Witness: Civil court proceedings (Level 4)
- Expert Witness: Criminal court proceedings (Level 4)
- Expert Witness: Family court proceedings (Level 4)
Learning outcomes and objectives
- Understand the importance of a well written report in the legal system
- Understand the relationship between a well written defendable report and their subsequent experience in the witness box
- Understand what the legal profession are looking for in an expert report.
Facilitator: Susan van Scoyoc CPsychol CSci AFBPsS
Susan is a Chartered Psychologist and Chartered Scientist. She is a member of the Division of Counselling Psychology, the Division of Health Psychology, and is a founding member of the Register of Psychologists Specialising in Psychotherapy. Susan is a UK Registered Expert Witness working in areas such as human rights, family law and cognitive testing.
Co-Facilitator: Stephen van Scoyoc, BS, MLA (Hons), specialises in effective management of service-based businesses. Stephen served a decade as a nuclear technician in the US Navy followed by 25 years as director or CEO of companies in the US and UK. He has been an active lecturer and trainer in science, business, and security. He is currently the business director for S&S van Scoyoc LLP.
- Non-Society Member: £234 (£195 +VAT)
- Society Member: £156 (£130 + VAT)
From 1 January 2013:
- Non-Society Member: £252 (£210 + VAT)
- Society Member: £168 (£140 + VAT)
How to book
This workshop is fully booked.
Tel: +44 (0)116 252 9925
Fax: +44 (0)116 227 1314