Expert Witness: Presenting Court Room Evidence (Level 3)
This event is fully booked.
This workshop focuses on the importance of expert witness testimony. Presenting evidence in courtis the culmination of the work carried out in your role as an expert witness. Attendees are taken through the court process and shown techniques used by the legal profession to undermine testimony so ensuring you are better prepared.
09:30 Registration/tea and coffee
10:00 Workshop starts
16:30 Workshop ends
The appearance of the expert witness in court can add credibility or discredit a previously written psychological report. Your reputation as an expert witness will be governed by your ability to present your material and opinions clearly and in a style that fits within the court system. Attendees will learn how to prepare for a court appearance and how to deal with cross examination in the witness box.
The link between the well written legal report and the court appearance will be explored so the participant can feel more confident in this stressful aspect of expert witness work. The course is aimed at both beginners and experienced expert witnesses across all Divisions.
This is skills based training for psychologists acting as expert witnesses. It is strongly recommended that you attend Levels 1,2 and 3 sequentially before attending Level 4 workshops:
- Expert Witness: Essential Knowledge of Being an Expert Witness (Level 1)
- Expert Witness: Report Writing (Level 2)
- Expert Witness: Presenting Court Room Evidence (Level 3)
- Expert Witness: The use of psychometric assessments for court (Level 4)
- Expert Witness: Civil court proceedings (Level 4)
- Expert Witness: Criminal court proceedings (Level 4)
- Expert Witness: Family court proceedings (Level 4)
- Understand the role and responsibilities of being an expert witness
- Understand how fees are calculated for legal settings
- Understand what is important for the instructing solicitor (so generating future instructions)
- Understand the link between a well written report and the expert’s experience in the witness box
Facilitator: Susan van Scoyoc CPsychol CSci AFBPsS
Susan is a Chartered Psychologist and Chartered Scientist. She is a member of the Division of Counselling Psychology, the Division of Health Psychology, and is a founding member of the Register of Psychologists Specialising in Psychotherapy. Susan is a UK Registered Expert Witness working in areas such as human rights, family law and cognitive testing.
Co-Facilitator: Stephen van Scoyoc, BS, MLA (Hons), specializes in effective management of service-based businesses. Stephen served a decade as a nuclear technician in the US Navy followed by 25 years as director or CEO of companies in the US and UK. He has been an active lecturer and trainer in science, business, and security. He is currently the business director for S&S van Scoyoc LLP.
- Non-Society members: £234 (£195 + VAT)
- Society members: £156 (£130 + VAT)
From 1 January 2013:
- Non-Society members: £252 (£210 + VAT)
- Society members: £168 (£140 + VAT)
How to book:
This event is fully booked.
Tel: +44 (0)116 252 9925
Fax: +44 (0)116 227 1314