Effective Therapeutic Problem Solving Techniques For Clients That Work (The Skills Development Service Ltd)
This course has been approved by the BPS Learning Centre for the purposes of Continuing Professional Development (CPD).
This workshop is module four of a four-module Certificate in Essential Therapy Skills offered by The Skills Development Service Ltd.
- Initial discussion: Are all clients’ problems solvable? Problem solution vs problem amelioration vs relationship change
- What constitutes a problem? Helping clients to learn how to perceive problems in different ways
- Learn methods that go beyond simple "positive thinking". Learn Kepner-Tregoe Approach, Chain diagrams and Force Field analysis and Idea Generation Techniques to use with clients.
- Learn techniques that help clients to free up their thinking: Practice Session
- The importance of "loosening up" thinking to produce solutions - techniques to achieve this
- Learn techniques to generate creative thinking: Practice Session
- Implementation: Learn common obstacles to proper implementation and how to overcome them
- Risk Management Issues - Assessing risk and implementation of solutions: Learn a simple risk assessment tool to minimise the dangers of negative effects
- Bring Real Life Problems to the Course:' Test Drive' the techniques with real problems (delegate’s choice)
- Review of course goals and progress monitoring
- Summary and closure
- Feedback in written form
Learning outcomes and objectives
- Delegates will understand a range of "add-on" elements that increase time efficiency with clients without decreasing quality
- Delegates will practise and learn a range of techniques derived from Translational Research, Group Dynamics, Time Management & Problem Solving Skills
- Delegates will learn how to apply the diverse elements of increased effectiveness from the above areas to their current therapeutic practice
Facilitator: Mr Paul Grantham
Paul is a Clinical Psychologist with over 25 years of clinical practice, training and managerial experience. His work in NHS, 1983-1990, included posts as Head of Acute Mental Health Psychology Services Bolton Health Authority and Principal Clinical Psychologist Portsmouth & S.E. Hants Health authority. Paul has been the Director of The Skills Development Service Ltd since 1990. He is the Lead Developer of numerous bespoke training and consultancy packages currently including Motivational Interviewing Training for Oxford PCT, a Clinical Supervision Programme for Royal Sussex University Hospitals Trust and Psychological Coping Skills For Post Stroke Depression (PSD) for NHS Cardiac and Stroke Network (Lancashire and Cumbria).
For more information visit The SDS Ltd website.
Who should attend?
Psychologists wishing to explore the theoretical underpinnings of resource based therapies with an introduction to their practical application. Other professional groups include: OTs, Social Workers, Nurses, Allied Health Professionals, Counsellors, Psychotherapists, Youth and Substance Misuse professionals.