Courtroom Skills (Bond Solon)
This course has been approved by the BPS Learning Centre for the purposes of Continuing Professional Development (CPD).
The witness box is a lonely place. Many experts feel they are on trial, standing in the dock rather than giving independent testimony to assist the court. Often, experts are unfamiliar with this environment, as few cases go to a full trial. But a poor performance can undermine confidence and credibility.
The Courtroom Skills Training is an intensive one day, highly practical and experiential training. This is no mere lecture with hints and tips. First we examine the theory, practice and procedure of giving evidence, demystifying the process. Then you are cross-examined on a case study you prepare on your field of expertise. An experienced lawyer, who is a trained trainer, gives constructive feedback on your witness box presentation. Delegates receive a comprehensive workbook and aide memoire.
Key Learning Points:
- Key skills of presenting effective evidence
- Your role as an independent educator of the court
- How the adversarial system works
- Roles of the various people in court
- Preparing for court and personal presentation
- Taking the oath or affirmation with confidence
- Techniques lawyers use in cross-examination and how to handle them
- Who to speak to and what to call them
- Expressing an opinion based on the foundation of fact
- Preparing an opposing brief
- Giving confident, clear testimony under difficult cross-examination
Course Cost: £395 + VAT
BPS members receive a 10% discount on this course. To obtain this discount call Bond Solon on +44(0)207 549 2549 and quote the following code when booking BPSBS2011.
Limited to 8 delegates.
Tel: +44(0)207 549 2549