Anxiety management - Theory to practice
Many trainees and practitioners seem reluctant to get too involved in the teaching of fundamental coping skills in Psychology. This workshop is designed to give trainees and early career practitioners a clear understanding of basic theory in anxiety management, develop a rationale for intervention and gain some hands-on experience of how they might deliver an intervention to clients.
09:30 Registration/Tea and Coffee
10:00 Workshop starts (there will be a break for lunch)
16:30 Workshop ends
This workshop is intended for entry level for Stage 2 or early career practitioners wishing to learn more about how anxiety management can be used in performance domains.
The whole workshop is couched in an 'applied' perspective. All participants will be provided with extensive background materials (to take away) and some hands-on practical experiences during the workshop that should allow them in the future to initiate/deliver basic techniques in anxiety management in their own applied practise context.
Examples of these techniques are listed below;
- Score and interpret the modified CSAI-2
- Identify the appropriate intervention
- Understand the importance of Controlling the Controllable
- Countering/Thought Stopping/Cognitive Restructuring/What Ifs
- Applied Relaxation (and specifically cue-controlled relaxation for use in Imagery or Refocussing)
- Integrating Somatic and Cognitive techniques into a multi-modal intervention
Delegates will be provided with an optional reading list prior to attending the workshop.
Learning outcomes and objectives
This workshop aims to assist delegates to:
- be able to understand and develop a rationale for an anxiety-based intervention
- be able to conduct an athlete/client needs analysis
- to understand how controlling the controllables can reduce anxiety
- to be able to deliver aspects of cognitive, somatic or multimodal interventions
- to be able to evaluate the effectiveness of an intervention in this area
Facilitator: Professor Ian Maynard CPsychol AFBPsS
Ian became an accredited Sports Psychologist in 1988 with the British Association of Sport and Exercise Science (BASES). He attended the Barcelona (Sailing) and Athens Olympics (Sailing, Boxing & Diving), the Victoria (Cycling) (1994) and Manchester (Bowls & Diving) (2002) Commonwealth Games and has been a consultant at World Championships in eight different sports. He was the Director of the RYA (Sailing) World Class Performance Sport Science Support Programme and has acted as consultant to the All England Women's Lacrosse Association, the England Bowls Team (Commonwealth Games 2002 & 2006), the Great Britain Diving Squad, British Swimming, Richmond Rugby Football Club, Professional Game Match Officials Ltd (English Elite Soccer Referees), the English Golf Union, GB Female Ice-Hockey and the Amateur Boxing Association of England and many international performers in a variety of other sports.
Ian completed his PhD in Anxiety Management and has published and presented extensively on the topic at international and national conferences.
- DSEP members: £72 (£60 + VAT)
- Society members: £96 (£80 + VAT)
- Society non-members: £120 (£100 +VAT)
How to book:
Please note: online bookings will close 24 hours prior to the event. Please call +44 (0)116 2529512 for availability after this point.
To pay by cheque or request an invoice complete and return the registration form.
Please note that we are only able to accept invoice requests at least 6 weeks before the event date.
BPS Learning Centre
Tel: +44 (0)116 252 9925
Fax: +44 (0)116 227 1314