- Psychology & the public
- What we do
- Member networks
- Careers, education & training
The Annual Bond Solon Expert Witness Conference 2011
This event has been approved by the BPS Learning Centre for the purposes of Continuing Professional Development (CPD).
The Annual Bond Solon Expert Witness Conference is the largest annual gathering of expert witnesses in the UK. This year we are delighted to welcome the Right Honourable Lord Justice Jackson who will be giving the keynote address. Since last year’s conference, there have been several major changes to the way experts do their work:
- The end of expert witness immunity. The case of Jones v Kaney opens you up to being sued both in contract and in negligence for work done in legal proceedings. What do you need to do to avoid civil action? What additional training is needed? What insurance is advisable? How are your terms and conditions of engagement affected?
- Will successful defendants be able to claim costs? The Jackson report has suggested major changes to the way litigation is conducted. Will there be a decrease in the need for your expert services if costs are not recoverable? How do the recommendations affect you?
- Will there be a new admissibility test for expert evidence in criminal trials? Will this prevent miscarriages of justice? What is the Law Commission suggesting? How will this affect you? Would your evidence pass the admissibility test?
- Declaration of Awareness of Procedure Rules. Today experts are required to sign both a Statement of Truth and Declaration of Awareness of the Civil Procedure Rules, Practice Directions and Protocol in their reports and solicitors require evidence that an expert has a full understanding of these. The new Family Procedure Rules, effective April 2011, introduce a new Statement of Truth and Declaration of Awareness. What do you need to know?
BPS members receive a 10% discount on this course. To obtain this discount call Bond Solon on +44(0)207 549 2549 and quote the following code when booking BPSBS2011.
Cost: £235 + VAT
The Church House Conference Centre
8 Shepherdess Walk
Tel: 020 7549 2549
Fax: 020 7549 2505