- Psychology & the public
- What we do
- Member networks
- Careers, education & training
Qualification in Sport and Exercise Psychology (Stage 2) (QSEP (Stage 2)) - Information for prospective candidates
Am I eligible?
Candidates applying to enrol on the QSEP Stage 2 must hold the following:
- Graduate Membership of the Society with the Graduate Basis for Chartered Membership (GBC).
- Either a Society-accredited MSc in Sport and Exercise Psychology or have completed the Qualification in Sport and Exercise Psychology (Stage 1) Examinations
How do I apply?
We would strongly recommend reading the following documents before applying:
- Regulations for the Society's Postgraduate Qualifications
- QSEP (Stage 2) Candidate Handbook
- Supervisors' Handbook
- Study Guide for Independent Candidates
Candidates must have a Co-ordinating Supervisor for the whole period of their enrolment on the QSEP (Stage 2). Co-ordinating Supervisors must be Chartered Psychologists with Full Membership of the DSEP and registered with the Health and Care Professions Council as a Practitioner Psychologist. They also must have at least two years experience as a Chartered Psychologist, have undergone the Qualification’s Approved Supervisor Training and also be on the Society’s Register of Applied Psychology Practice Supervisors (RAPPS).
If you wish to apply for AEC please refer to the Candidate Handbook and complete the AEC application form below. If you have any queries regarding an AEC application please contact the Qualifications Officer.
How do I enrol?
Please enrol using the documentation below:
- QSEP (Stage 2) Enrolment form and QSEP (Stage 2) Guidance Notes on its completion
- QSEP (Stage 2) Plan of Training
- QSEP (Stage 2) Co-ordinating Supervisor Contract. (Please note that this is a sample contract only. Your potential Co-ordinating Supervisor may have their own form of contract.)
- Health reference form
- Qualifications equal opportunities form
- AEC application form
- Reference request form
- Direct debit mandate
In addition to the above you will also need to provide the following with your application to enrol:
- Proof of Stage 1 (i.e. your MSc) (either the original or an authenticated copy. By authenticated copy we mean a copy that has been stamped and signed by the issuing University or a Solicitor etc).
- Copy of the Enhanced Criminal Records Bureau Disclosure (or Protecting Vulnerable Groups (PVG) from Disclosure Scotland or an Access Northern Ireland Enhanced Disclosure). If you do not currently hold an Enhanced CRB Disclosure then please contact our Membership Team on 0116 252 9911 who will be able to assist you.
Please ensure that you send all the relevant information to ensure that your application to enrol is completed as quickly as possible.
Once your application has been approved the Registrar/Chief Supervisor will write to you formally.
What does taking the QSEP Stage 2 involve?
The total period of training, including time spent on the MSc and supervised practice must be a minimum of three years full time or the part time equivalent. This applies to both full-time and part-time MSc courses. All candidates will be required to complete a minimum of two years full-time (or the part-time equivalent) of supervised practice under an Approved Supervisor.
How much does this cost?
There may be additional fees for QSEP (Stage 2) that you may incur during your training and these should be considered whilst you are planning your training.
Fees and funding
Professional and Career Development Loan
Professional and Career Development Loans are commercial bank loans that you can use to help pay for work-related learning. You can borrow between £300 and £10,000 to help support the cost of up to two years of learning (or three years if it includes one year’s relevant unpaid practical work).
The government will pay the interest on the loan while you are learning and for one month afterwards. You will then need to start repaying the loan as you would any other commercial loan
product. You can use the loan to pay course fees or other costs such as travel and living expenses. You can also use the loan to supplement other forms of support such as grants or bursaries.
As the Professional and Career Development Loan is a commercial loan product, you should make sure you have investigated all the funding options that may be open to you to ensure you take an
informed decision about whether the loan is right for you.
For further information on financial assistance to support your learning, please visit the GOV.UK website or contact the National Careers Service on 0800 100 900. Our learning provider identification number is 0121372.
Please bear in mind that it can take up to three months for your loan application to be approved and it must have been approved before you can submit your stage 2 enrolment application. We have included some helpful links below but please get in touch if you have any questions.
- Careers in psychology
- Accredited courses & training programmes
- Professional Development Centre
- Society qualifications
- Clinical neuropsychology
- Counselling psychology
- Educational psychology (Scotland)
- Forensic psychology
- Health psychology
- Occupational psychology (for those based in the UK)
- Sport & Exercise psychology
- International Qualification in Occupational Psychology (IQOP (Stage 2))
- Non-UK applicants
- Qualifications team:contact us
- SoE documents for all candidates
- SoE documents for candidates enrolled post-May 2006
- SoE documents for candidates enrolled pre-May 2006
- Psychological testing
- About the Research Interests List
- Postgraduate research degrees