You are currently viewing our classic site, if you wish to visit the new site click here

Applicants from outside the UK

Our qualifications are work based learning designed to enable people to develop and demonstrate the competencies required for practice in the UK. All of the information provided on our qualifications web pages, Regulations and Handbooks applies to candidates from outside the UK as well as those from the UK. This page provides some additional information for those who may not be familiar with the UK context.

Professional recognition

Some of our qualifications are approved by the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC) and people who are awarded one of the approved qualifications are eligible to apply to the HCPC for registration. It is a legal requirement that anyone who wishes to practice using a title protected by the Health Professions Order 2001 is on the HCPC Register.

Entry Requirements

Graduate Basis for Chartered Membership (GBC)
You must be a Graduate Member of the Society with the Graduate Basis for Chartered Membership. The Graduate Basis for Chartered Membership is awarded to those who have qualifications in psychology awarded at the equivalent of a UK second class honours degree which covers a range of areas of psychology. When you apply for Graduate Membership of the Society your application for the Graduate Basis for Chartered Membership will be considered at the same time.

In order to be eligible to enrol for one of our qualifications applicants from overseas must meet the same requirements as applicants from the UK.

Co-ordinator of Training/ Co-ordinating Supervisor

Before enrolling you must have a Co-ordinator of Training or Co-ordinating Supervisor.

He or she will:

  • be a Chartered Member of the Society
  • be a registered practitioner psychologist
  • be a full member of the relevant Division
  • have undertaken the appropriate training for the role.

You might find an appropriate person to take on this role within your employment or you may need to pay someone privately to provide this service.More information about Co-ordinators of Training/ Co-ordinating Supervisors can be found with the information on the relevant qualification.

Work Based Learning/ Supervised Practice

When you apply to enrol you will need to show us that you are in a position to complete the supervised practice elements of the qualification. This means you will need to demonstrate that you have a paid or voluntary position where you will be able to undertake your supervised practice. The majority of your supervised practice will need to be undertaken in the UK and you will need to tell us about the supervised practice you have arranged in the UK so that we know you will be able to meet this requirement.

If you cannot find the information you want on these pages, contact the Qualifications Office.