- Psychology & the public
- What we do
- Member networks
- Careers, education & training
Home › Consultation Papers
Restart consultation papers from beginning.
Bailey Review on the Commercialisation and Sexualisation of Childhood (Industry and Wider Stakeholder Version)
Reg Bailey, Chief Executive of the Mothers' Union, is carrying out an independent review to address parents' concerns about the pressures on children to grow up too quickly. The review will focus particularly on four key issues:
- that sexualised imagery forms a universal background or wallpaper to children's lives;
- that some products are inappropriate for children, and others in dubious taste;
- that businesses sometimes treat children too much as consumers and forget that they are children too, with particular concerns about the kinds of marketing techniques associated with digital media;
- how to tell advertisers, broadcasters and retailers about the things parents are unhappy about and how to make an effective complaint.
Department for Education (DfE)
Consultation Close Date
18 Mar 2011